ENTER MNDR. THE MUSICIAN GIVING POP A GLIMPSE INTO INTELLIGENT DANCE MUSIC. HER ALBUM “FEED ME DIAMONDS” RELEASES AUGUST 14TH AND THE DANCE HIT “#1 IN HEAVEN” WAS A FAST HIT. WE CAUGHT UP WITH THE DANCE DIVA BEFORE HER FREE SHOW ON NYC’S THE INTREPID. THE EVENT INCLUDED ARTISTS DELICATE STEVE, JAVELIN, AND RED BARAAT.
1. Where did you play your first show ever (as MNDR)?
Glass Lounge with the bands Silk Flowers and Let Er Set
2. What does your pre-show warm up include?
I don’t really need any alone time. I usually just have people hanging out.
3. Who can’t you believe you’ve shared a bill with?
4. What was your favorite locale to travel through for a show/tour?
The United States. It’s so diverse. Makes you realize how unique this country is. Or Australia because it’s a really great place to hang out.
5. We know live performances can yield slip-ups. What’s your funniest?
I can give you two: One week I had 3 shows, and I had dysentery. I was very ill. I was on stage with medical bracelets. I’d been in the hospital twice before. It was kinda funny. Some people noticed the bracelets, some didn’t.
The second one: I’ve fallen off the stage several times. Once in London I just stepped right off of it. In a weird 6 inch heel. Which I’d never fucking wear.
6. What has been your most surprising fan/audience interaction so far?
I have one fan that got a tattoo of diamonds for the album. A lot of times people come to the show with glasses on. I have great fans. Amazing fans inspired to make their own MNDR covers. If you go on my Facebook you can see them. It’s been really incredible to reach people who can be inspired by your art to create more art. I’m always extremely humbled people would actually listen at all.
7. You’ve opened for some of our personal faves including Yacht and Deerhoof. Who was your favorite band to open for?
8. Tune Yards is the only other musician we can think of who currently loves giant glasses as much as you do. Who is winning best display of giant glasses?
I have astigmatism. They were my experimental glasses. I’ve had them for 6 years. A one off Japanese pair from the seventies. I don’t really like doing my hair or shopping so figured the glasses were something people could remember. Now I’ve been collecting glasses.
9. What would you tell everyone’s parents about the IDM (intelligent dance music) scene to convince them of the genre’s validity?
I think if they heard my album they’d realize I don’t do genres. The genre is actually called EDM. It’s like the last rebellious music as far as I can see. I don’t think it is for parents. I could really give a f***. This music has a rebel spirit. Music’s gotten weird. I guess MNDR is for everyone but let’s keep it no parents allowed. But I don’t really see myself in that genre. Music is music.
10. Why did you devote the ‘Feed Me Diamonds’ title track to performance artist Marina Abramovic:
I have a multimedia artist group of female artists. The project is called Zeroth. She is a huge influence. She spoke about how kings were overthrown and murdered by being force fed diamonds during the time of materialistic royalty. I thought it was a really beautiful metaphor.
11. What do you admire most about Marina’s art?
I like performance art, I like that she’s passionate about what she does. She takes it right to the edge of making an audience feel extremely uncomfortable. She’s a true modern heroine, one of the most important artists out there.
12. How does your upcoming tour schedule look?
Just finished touring with the Ting Tings four a few months. I’m about to start touring again. But I can’t announce whom with yet. I’ll also be touring all through November
SHOW MNDR SOME LOVE
Interviewed by Dawn Joyce